Welcome to our new website!

Religious Education

Religious Education
At Mevagissey school, we aim to show our children that Great Britain is a country rich in different cultures and religions.  Children are taught the key skills required for tolerance and understanding of different Religions and learn about the principle religions represented in Great Britain.
The curriculum is based on the ‘Cornwall Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education 2020’.  Throughout their R.E. lessons the children will spend 60% of their time studying Christianity and for the remaining 40% they will learn about Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism and Judaism.  Christianity is taught in every year group and only one of the other four religions is taught alongside it.
Children are taught Religious Education through literature, music, art, drama, design technology, external visitors and school trips. These varied opportunities enhance spiritual, moral, social and cultural understanding and encourage children to respond and reflect on their own understanding and experiences as well as to the teachings and practices of a variety of different religions studied from Nursery to Year 6.
Religious Education Key Progression skills
Click on the document below to view our Key Progression skills that we have created to support our curriculum. Progression in computing and skills is explicitly planned for and intertwined through our termly curriculum mapping.